Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday night 6/15

We have had quite a weekend.
It is late on Sunday night and I have a million pictures to post. I will have to do it from the office tomorrow where the computer is faster and I have the option of posting while doing other things. Right now all I really want to do it take a shower, paint my toenails and go to sleep. I may just go for 'c' and be done with it....

Friday afternoon ended with lots of storms. Jesana had to be out and her friend, Anna, sat for the boys. Jesana wanted to make sure that Anna did a good job so she came for the first 3 hours. When she finished, she called to say that she had left 2 pages of instructions and made Anna do everything in front of her twice. THEN she told her she would "totally [mess] her up if anything happened to [her] babies." Fortunately for everyone involved, it went smoothly.

Saturday dawned overcast and warm. Dad had a list of things he needed to accomplish so the boys and I walked down to the Farmer's Market with Aunt Lee and Katie. It was in the low 70's with 90 percent humidity at 9 in the morning. Ugh. The walking (obviously) took more time than the usual jog and by the time we got back Griffith was in full meltdown mode. After a lunch, a diaper change, a bottle and a nap, though, he was good as new. And, best of all, Cousin Bailey came to spend the night (it was Mom and Dad's anniversary). Aunt Kathy also came for the night (college reunion). KK came to visit (in town for a wedding). Cousin Tyler and his girlfriend, Hannah, and her sister Hallie stopped by, too.

Miss Linda had sent a bunch of strawberries to Griff and Momma tried to keep up with him capping them, but it was hard work. They were meant for our dessert, but he ate as many as I could clean. I have a hard time telling the kid that he can't eat fresh fruit. It just seems wrong.
The next thing I knew, though, he started growling.
Use your words, Griff.
Poof.
What?
Poof.
Surely to God the kid doesn't want cheesy poofs.
Show me.
Little guy takes my hand and leads me from the back deck to the back door.
Up.
Okay.
Takes me to the corner of the kitchen -- up.
Okay.
Points to the cabinet -- "POOF!'
Well, I guess that clears THAT up.
So then he switched to "poofs" (Puffy Cheetos) -- he was absolutely covered in crud. Strawberry juice, sand, dirt, mulch and cheesy puff orange. Yum.

He had a wonderful time with Cousin Bailey, though. Whatever she did, he wanted to do. Swing? Okay, swing. Slide? Slide it is. Bailey hardly noticed when her mom and dad left. Too busy. Jay made a wonderful dinner -- grilled chicken and veggies (although he put too much spice on the zucchini and squash - Griff would take a bite and then lick the high chair seat to get the spice off of his tongue.)

After dinner we all ran through the sprinkler and then took baths. After which Thing One, Two and Miss B read stories and retired (as did Sister Kate, after cleaning up the kitchen -- hallelujah!)

We had a relatively peaceful night. The boys slept in the nursery (Dad on an air mattress that kept deflating) and Mom and Bailey upstairs.

At about 5 a.m., Miss B woke to say that she was hungry.
What?
Have a drink. Go to the bathroom. It is night.

5:30. Really, Aunt Jane. I am hungry.
Okay. How about a cheese stick?
I love those. Great.
Come 7:10 -- Aunt Jane?
Mmm-hmm. My stomach hurts. I think you better call my mom and dad. I think I am going to frow up.
Hmm???
Your mom and dad are coming soon, Miss B. Are you sure your stomach isn't hurting because you are a little worried about waking up without them?

NOTE TO SELF: If a 4 year old tells you that she is going to Frow Up, do not discuss the pathology of the situation. Take her to the bathroom, DumbA**.

You guessed it. The vomit trifecta was perfected right there in the bed. To her credit Bailey was a trouper (and, according to her parents this is most unusual). After coating me and the duvet (but not herself) we moved in to the bathroom to complete the wretching. Wiped off, changed clothes, stripped the covers and moved downstairs.

Miss B settled on the couch, watching ABC Family. Aunt Kate helped out while Mom made breakfast for Jay and the boys (who slept until well after 8). We had one more vomiting episode after which we announced that we thought we could still go and feed the ducks. (Our announced outing for the morning.)

We all got settled down, fed, cleaned and dressed. Headed for the duck pond (we'll have Grandma and Grampy identify the birds.) Bailey's mom and dad joined us. We all went to the book store, came home, had lunch. Griff was dying to go to sleep but managed to rally. Allan was more cooperative and snoozed for three hours. After which Griff slept for two. I hate to complain, but, really, we try for contemporaneous napping rather than consecutive. Brats.

More update tomorrow. Right now I must attend to my pedicure.