Wednesday, August 30, 2006

wednesday - august 30

Well, we are still on target for a Tuesday homecoming. Allan still hasn't shown all that much interest in eating from the bottle. He didn't really do any thing at the 10 a.m., took about 40 at 2 and did the same at 6. Caitlin was showing me how to work the feeding pump tonight and, of course, there was some malfunction with the machine and it kept stopping. I told her that this was not at all comforting to me considering how close we were to going home and we were laughing about how awful it would be to get home and not be able to get the darned thing working. Allan bobbled his head around and got the most alarmed look on his face. He may not want to eat from a bottle but he wants to make darned sure that the current delivery system stays functional. He's such a little faker with the bottle though. He'll suck some down and then cough and hack like he has emphysema. I had thought that he was having genuine trouble coordinating the suck-swallow-breath thing until tonight. Right before I left, he started smacking his lips like he wanted to suck, so I gave him his pacifier. He sucked a couple of times and then either spit it out or just lost his grip on it. Since I couldn't tell which, I gave it back to him. Apparently he didn't want it because he turned red, spit it out and hacked and coughed and gagged like he had sucked a gallon of water. I guess that's just his way of saying "no more."
Griffith had another excellent day. Miss Flora likes nothing better than to hold a baby and sweet talk and Griffith likes nothing better than to be doted on. So that's working out well for him - at the moment any way.