Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thursday afternoon -- June 15th

The boys have had a big couple of days.
First off was the two month milestone. Last night Griffith weighed 4 pounds 4 ounces and was 17 inches long. Allan was 4 pounds even and 15. 5 inches long. Both of them got their very first rounds of vaccines yesterday to celebrate (blasted doctors know how to take the fun out of EVERYthing, don't they?). They both seemed to do very well with those, though.
Allan got another bath last night and still loved it. This distinguishes him from his brother who (naturally) throws a fit and hates, hates, hates to have baths. Allan couldn't have been any happier, though, and laid there and looked up at Krista and me as if this was the best idea we had ever had. The docs continue to work on weaning him down and he is tolerating it pretty well. When I was in for his care at lunch today, he was just smiling all over himself. I am glad that he is so happy and God knows it is good to have one who isn't constantly raising Cain, but if I didn't know for sure that they are brothers, I'm not sure I would have guessed it.
Griffith was scheduled to be extubated today and he got to come out for some K-care with Dad last night. So while I was bathing Allan, Dad was holding Griffith. As I was sitting there telling Allan that it was about time to go I hear Jay call for Krista (Allan's nurse) to come and help. Yep, Griffith, operating on his own schedule, had extubated himself. The usual crowd responded and put him on the nasal cannula. He was fairly unsettled, though, so Jay took the first shift and I took the second. Long story short, we've made it to this afternoon with him on the cannula and he's doing very well. He's so much happier than with that vent tube or that awful cpap. As long as he keeps breathing well and without labor, he remains the golden boy. I'm afraid that he is already spoiled. When I got to the hospital, he was pretty fussy and Caitlyn suggested that I hold him. I complied gladly, of course. Little turkey settled right down and that's how he stayed for more than four hours. All it took was being held apparently. And the promise about the pony. And the puppy. And the chocolate cake for breakfast. That's all.